Thursday, May 3, 2018

Pre-Finals Sounds

I was hoping to do, at least, two more posts with the ultimate one at the end of Finals Week. So, here's the penultimate post!

"Maybe" - Alina Baraz & Galimatias Since I have been listening to a lot of very relaxing/slower music to study, I have been listening to "Maybe"  by Alina Baraz a lot. I like how the song is somewhat sparse instument/sound-wise. It has a very chill vibe, but the song changes enough throughout to keep your interest. It comes from her album Urban Flora which is a fantastic album to listen to while studying (at least for me it is and I have recommended it to other students that are studying). (Megan Winslow)




"Money For Nothing" - Dire Straits - At the time this song came out, I was working at Sears and I was, in fact, moving refrigerators and color tvs. The song was an anthem to us in the warehouse and we sung it loud and laced with profanity. (Chris Hakala)

Editor's note: - Somewhere in our house is a picture of our younger daughter Rachel peering intently at the lyric sheet that came with Dire Straits's "Brothers in Arms" Lp. We swear it's how she learned how to read (from that album and Billy Joel's "An Innocent Man"). (RBK)



"Two of Us" - The Beatles - I played this at a friend’s “funeral” on the Orkney Island of Rousay last summer. It illustrates our long friendship very well as it did Lennon and McCartney’s collaboration of many years. (Daniele Dugre-Martin)

From "The Beatles Bible": The opening song on The Beatles' final album, "Two Of Us" was written by Paul McCartney about his fondness for getting deliberately lost in the country with his future wife Linda. 
Lennon and McCartney shared the same microphone to sing the song, as captured in the Let It Be film. Indeed, the middle sections contain likely references to their relationship, with both acutely aware that their time as members of The Beatles was drawing to a close. (Editor's note: C'mon Paul, we know this is all about you and John!


"World We You Live" - Crowded House - I loved this group back in the 80s and 90s but only owned two of their albums.
Of course everyone knows “Don’t Dream it’s Over” but they had many other hits over the years. Such as “World where you live.”  Great road trip music. (Thomas Williams)

Editor's note - I have always considered this "adult pop" music, fun to sing along with plus lyrics that are not shallow.  If you missed this group first time around, check out their songs.!




"Down San Diego Way" - Arthur Blythe - To end this post on a boisterous note, my 301 students ask me about my favorite songs. Of course, since I have been listening to music for over six decades,  my list is way too long to publish anywhere. However, most of my favorites are connected to memories.  In the mid-70s, I was a reviewer for the New Haven Advocate specializing in jazz, especially "out" jazz. I had the opportunity to meet saxophonist Arthur Blythe and hear him play live. No matter what musical situation he put himself in, his alto sax always sounded like joy personified.  No more so than on "Down San Diego Way" from his first Lp on CBS Records.  Guitar, percussion, bass, drums, tuba (Bob Stewart is the true "bottom"), flute, and Mr. Blythe's sweet tone. Yes, this is noisy but it' a reflection of a person who lived to play, loved to play, and appreciated when people would come up and say "thank you."  This song is a real "summer - open the windows and play it loud, really loud - song". (RBK)

No comments:

Post a Comment