Sunday, September 23, 2018

Moving Right Along

Looking at my back yard this morning, I noticed that there were leaves on the ground where just two days ago all I saw was green grass.  Yes, the times they are a'changin'.  But, our quest for music is ongoing.

George Harrison - "Got My Mind Set On You" - This song is complete pop by one of the original fab four. it's catchy, upbeat, makes little sense, but is really fun. And, the music still sounds current and could be a hit now if it was on the radio currently. Some might not agree, but I think that it has that feeling of being a bit eternal. (C Hakala) (Editor's note - The original version of the song was released in 1963 and featured vocalist James Ray (see below).




James Ray - "If You Gotta Make a Fool of Somebody" - The afore-mentioned James Ray released three 45s in his short lifetime (1941-1964).  This one came out in late 1962 and is unique for the use of tuba and harmonica and its waltz tempo (shadows of Burt Bacharach).  Over in England, John Lennon, Paul McCartney, and George Harrison were listening to American pop and saw all these different possibilities.  Note Lennon's use of harmonica on several of the earlier recordings (for instance, "From Me To You").  But this song, fleeting as it is (2:00), was Ray's biggest hit and has been recorded numerous times (a sped-up version by Freddie & The Dreamers and a dramatic reading by a very young Bonnie Raitt in 1972). (RBK)



The Who - "Magic Bus"English rock band formed in 1964 known as one of the most popular and influential bands of the 60s and 70s.  They originated Rock Opera and were (sadly) the only rock band I even walked out on...ok, granted I went out to the parking lot with half of the audience and we followed the concert outside.  They were and are still amazingly loud (which might explain why the members are partially deaf).  "Magic Bus" is my choice this week because of the interesting rhythm played on wood blocks (?) or drum sticks. (D. Dugre-Martin)




U2 - "One" - I can’t help but listen to this song many times while driving, relaxing on the deck or doing some cardio exercise at the gym. It gives me hope. In its lyrics, I hear that our fractured world doesn’t have to come together on all fronts and that diversity should not be divisive; instead, it should and must be celebrated so that goodness can exist.


"One" is a song by Irish rock band U2. It is the third track from their 1991 album Achtung Baby and it was released as the record's third single in February 1992. The lyrics, written by lead singer Bono, were inspired by the band members' fractured relationships and the German Reunification. Although the lyrics ostensibly describe "disunity", they have been interpreted in other ways. Bono described the song's theme as such: "It is a song about coming together, but it's not the old hippie idea of 'Let's all live together.' It is, in fact, the opposite. It's saying, “We are one, but we're not the same. It's not saying we even want to get along, but that we have to get along together in this world if it is to survive. It's a reminder that we have no choice".  The Edge, the band’s guitarist, described it…on another level. He suggested that the line "we get to carry each other" introduces "grace" to the song and that the wording "get to" (instead of "got to") is essential, as it suggests that it is a privilege to help one another, not an obligation. (J Gaffney)




Harry Chapin - "Cat's In The Cradle" - As I don't hear from my children very much, nor do I call my mother for weeks at a time, I have had Harry Chapin's 1974 hit on my mind, "Cat's in the Cradle."  (T Williams)  (Editor's note - Those of us who have children knows how much this song resonates. While many of my music "buddies" were listening to Led Zeppelin and Black Sabbath, songs like this were reminding me how much my Father sacrificed to put a roof over our heads. That sacrifice meant we hardly had a relationship until close to the end of his life.)


Chicago Classical Review
Miguel Zenón & Spektral Quartet - "Promesa" - (Editor's note - I had planned to post this but the George Harrison tune led me back to James Ray - and I could not resist).  As many of you know, I have been reviewing music since my college days and continue to do that on my blog Step Tempest.  Earlier this week, I posted a review of "Yo Soy La Tradición", a fascinating new recording by alto saxophonist, composer, and arranger Miguel Zenón.  He's been active on the contemporary jazz scene for nearly two decades and, since the beginning of his career, made it a point to investigate music from his native Puerto Rico.  His quartet has recorded albums with added percussionists, strings, and large horn sections, illustrating how melody and rhythm are tied together the way the Roman Catholic Church and secular music are in Central and Latin America.

Photo: Jimmy Katz
This new recording is a series of compositions based on traditional Puerto Rican folk tunes as well as steeped in particular church rituals.  Zenón write these pieces for his alto saxophone and a string quartet. The blend of rhythmic movement and lengthy melodic lines is so appealing to me.  "Promesa" is based on the tradition of Three Kings Day, celebrated every year on January 6 - in his liner notes, the composer writes that "the celebration of "El Dia de Reyes" supersedes Christmas, both in importance and fervor."  (RBK)



More to follow but, for now, have fun with these pieces.

No comments:

Post a Comment